Yesterday, our new car of one week overheated. Andrew accidentally left the lights on for the day at seminary and had to jump start it in the afternoon. He did not notice that because of this, the fan for the car was no longer switching on. By the time he was on the road home and noticed the heat guage right up at the top, he had no choice but to put the heater on and just get himself home, since he was unable to call anyone since his phone battery had died. I was sitting at the Master's College waiting for him to pick me up, having no idea that this was going on!
I saw Andrew drive into the parking lot, beckoning me to climb in without the car fully stopping so that the airflow to the engine could continue! I was scared the whole car was going to explode on us as we did the last few miles home, watching the needle bounce up and down! But we made it, and sat for a while together praying, and we thought through the situation and realized that we were to focus on reacting the right way instead of worrying about it. Today, Andrew took it to the shop just up the road from us and we waited for them to get back to us on what the full picture was.
Turns out the cylinder head was cracked... It all came down to a little $50 switch that got fried when the car was jumpstarted. The outcome was sad news, as the estimate was over $800 to fix and the car mustn't be driven until it is done. And Seminary families don't exactly have that sort of money! But we were convinced that the Lord's purposes were being done and we are trusting that it will all work out for our good. We certainly know that from past experience, He has graciously provided what we need, and although we are not too sure what we are going to do yet, we will rest in the knowledge of his sovereignty over this situation! In fact, we are curious as to what He will do though this trial.
We have a little bit of money saved away and some Rands in a South African account, but this must be used to send me to Canada to get my new visa, so we will look at how to reduce as much of the cost of this as possible. We will sit down over the next few days and work out exactly whether we should get it fixed or sell it in it's current condition. Please pray for wisdom and grace for us through this time, and for a right attitude in all things.